Garage doors are some of the largest working components of a home. These large and heavy objects provide protection for belongings stored within the household. They automatically open and close for ease in entering and exiting with the family vehicle with the simple click of a remote. They also add curb appeal and value to the abode. But when they break down, the family routine can develop a huge snag. The cars might have to stand outside exposed to inclement weather and potential thefts. If the door has fallen off of its tracks, the whole house may appear ill maintained and in disrepair, causing a loss of curb appeal and perceived real estate value. When a break down happens, immediate maintenance is in order. Here are some tips:
– One way to keep this item from breaking down in the first place is with preventative maintenance. Oil all moving parts on a regular time schedule, every six months or so. Tighten up all screws while you’re at it, as the constant motion will loosen them over time. Regular painting will keep it looking great, too.
– If the door won’t open with a click of the remote, time to check the batteries. It’s best to keep a backup supply for times such as these.
– Check the springs and tracks. If something is out of alignment, a garage door repair professional should be called in to perform service. Springs are especially tricky to work on and this heavy object can be dangerous to the novice repairperson. Call in the garage door repair pros when the spring tension has gone haywire.
– In triple car storage rooms with two openers, sometimes the frequency between the two can conflict, causing the mechanism to cease functioning. The codes may need to be reset in order to have a harmonious frequency between the two.
– It’s helpful for all household members to know, in advance, how to open a garage door manually. Each family member should practice the release technique ahead of time, so that they won’t be stranded in case of an electrical outage or a breakdown.
– In order to find a reputable service person in your locale, ask neighbors for recommendations. Word of mouth is always the best place to start when looking for new repair personnel. Another way to find a savvy tech is by calling the local garage door supplier. Their company will have technicians on staff or be well acquainted with the most qualified contractors in your area.
Regular maintenance of garage doors is a smart thing to do. It will protect your belongings, property value, curb appeal and the smooth functioning of your household.